Sunday, May 17, 2009

Week 4 Les Privelage

I spent the week in France nestled in one of the few major cities inside the Alps. Although I have been coming to this place for nearly a decade I never grow tired of snow peaked mountains, the coffee, the bread, and my favorite restaurant Les Privelage. It’s a stark contrast from the wide open spaces of the midwest and enjoy immersing myself into the culture and French way of life.

After nearly 24 hours of planes, trains, and automobiles I arrived about 7:00 Sunday night wary from the journey and ready to have a beer and a few thousand calories of du pain. Instead, I reluctantly pressed play on the Kenpo X that eluded me Friday and squeezed in ARX too. I struggled each step digging deep into energy reserves knowing that it would be a defining moment in my P90X journey. I wrapped up the night with a protein shake and the lo-cal oatmeal I had packed. It was perfect, and made certain to get in a quick prayer that night thanking God for strength that was clearly beyond my own.

The rest of the week was spent sleeping, working, and working out. Each day started with P90X breakfast and ended with running about 7 miles gazing into a majestic mountain landscape. I even skipped my ritual of eating at Les Privelage, which I have done on every visit since my first. They have the most amazing calzone in the world, but you have to ask for it "sons oeuf", or you will have a yolk filled surprise when you get half way (yes, in France it is common to have an egg in the middle of a pizza!).

With very little to eat beside my protein shakes and low-cal oatmeal I was well under my calorie targets each day, which explains why my pants became very loose by end of week. This helped me to wrap up my 30 day review with over 2 inches off my waist and roughly 12 to 15 lbs lost.

That leads me into this mornings phase 2 workout of chest, back, tri, or should I say try. What fun I had slamming each lift trying to “bring it” to the next level. That was until Tony went medieval asking for a round of applause in a pushup drill then acting like you only need one arm!! I am a right and left team player when it comes to push-ups! I am excited and anxious to get enough strength to master this workout.

The 30-day review is too short to become reflective about experiences and progress, other than I am here, pressing play, and seeing results. The biggest feat is that I am equally pumped to start Phase 2 as I was on day 1. That is the difference when you defy your comforts and make a defining decision to press play when you have a 1,000 reasons why it’s OK not to. This was a wonderful “God moment” and feel incredibly blessed knowing His strength is always there when mine has run out.

2 comments:

  1. Can I just say, I LOVE your blog! So glad to hear you're pressing play and seeing results.

    I went for a little run this morning with your last sentence written on my heart.. "This was a wonderful "God moment" and feel incredibly blessed knowing His strength is always there when mine has run out."

    I have no desire to run but I really wanted to do something that would kind of tell me where I'm at physically. Would I run out of gas at a 1/2 mile or mile? Am I really in as good of shape as I think I am? So, I took off and just decided I'm just going to do it and enjoy my time alone without any distractions. I reached the 2 mile mark and was so unbelievable bored that I decided to stop. But, it made me realize my hard work IS paying off and all those times I thought I had reached my breaking point only to ask God to give me the strength to go on so I can be as healthy as he created me to be. He's so good to give us the desires of our heart!

    Anyway, I've rambled enough. Thank you for the encouragement I receive every time I visit your blog. Be blessed!

    (Oh, congrats on starting phase 2! Get ready to see some major progress!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Running really is great, and think it is a good compliment to P90X. BTW, 2 miles is not when you get bored, rather, when everything really just starts to work. Keep up the running, it is a fantastic fitness addiction to have!

    ReplyDelete